|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide direct care utilizing professional assessment skills, the nursing process, and established school health protocols.
2. Serve as health advocate for students.
3. Notify parents of accident or illness and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
4. Coordinate management system to administer medications to students at school. Administer medications according to district policy and procedures.
5. Establish and implement effective procedures for mandatory screening programs. Make referrals as necessary.
6. Develop and coordinate continuing evaluation of campus health program and make changes based on findings.
7. Participate in development of campus health education curriculum and provide health education to individuals and groups.
8. Educate faculty and staff as needed on health related topics.
9. Provide health counseling and instruction to individual students.
10. Serve as health liaison between school, physicians, parents, and community.
11. Assess student problems and make appropriate referrals working with students, teachers, parents, and medical and health care professionals as needed.
12. Participate in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee, crisis team, and school committees and develops
Individual Health Plan.
13. Collaborate with other professionals regarding implementation of health-related Individual Education Plan (IEP) items.
14. Participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
15. Make home visits to help with student health problems as necessary with permission of principal.
16. Communicate regularly with principal, health services coordinator, school counselor, teachers, parents, food services, and other staff regarding health services issues.
17. Review and evaluate immunization records.
18. Supervise and train nurse aide(s) and LVN(s) in clinic procedures and responsibilities according to district policy.
19. Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required, including clinic records and accurate, updated health records on all students.
20. Requisition supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic inventory.
21. Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of Health rule, State Board of Education rule, and board policy in health services area.
22. Report potential health and safety hazards to principal.
23. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
24. Maintain certification in CPR, vision and hearing screening, and as a health screener.
25. Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
Direct the work of licensed vocational nurse (LVN) and assigned health clinic aide(s).
Thermometer, blood pressure cuff, audiometer, otoscope, sphygmomanometer, vision screening equipment, thermoscan, basic clinic equipment, personal computer, and copier.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases.